Saturday, June 30, 2012

currently

It's been two-and-half weeks since I arrived in Cap-Haitien, and although the time has flown by, it feels like I've been here forever.

I live with two amazing girls, Tabitha, who has been here full time for almost a year now, and Anna, another intern that came here after graduation in May, and will be here until August. They are both super sweet, and we are all actually from Nashville, which is extra awesome! We are sharing a cozy, open, 2 bedroom upstairs apartment with a small kitchen/dining area and one bathroom. I can honestly say I am not even phased by the cold showers (paise the Lord!), something I totally dreaded after never getting used to them during my 4 months in st. marc! Anna and I each have a bottom bunk in our room, and most nights, I'm able to ninja my way into my mosquito net without letting any of those little punks in. On the nights I fail at that, I family miserably. It only takes one to be miserable all night!

I'm usually up sometime between 7:30 and 8, and spend about an hour making breakfast, reading my Bible, praying, getting dressed and checking Email etc. I love that I don't have to rush into my day, and that every day seems to take shape a little differently. my 'intern' title has sometimes meant drafting emails, addressing sponsorship letters or cards, or researching flights. other times, it's helping to get the kids to participate in trash duty, changing a poopy diaper, or just going about my business with a baby or little one in tote. Sometimes it looks like 10 young girls on our wooden couch and floor for a movie on my roommate's Mac, hearing, "puisse'm, Rhiannon," about 37 times from the swingset as i walk down the stairs, or (my personal favorite!) hugging and kissing the littlest ones goodnight in their room as I check in before bedtime. this past week, I translated an English application into French, a 5 page French application and list of requirements into English (I owe google translate Big-ups for their support in my efforts!), and photographed every single kiddo here at CHCH (all 63 of them!), which meant a lot of tracking down and convincing (and bringing back-up, multiple times!) the older kids to flash their beautiful smiles for a photo or two.

And as is everything here in Haiti, spent much of today waiting... For each picture to upload to the website. Two by two, with my fastest download speed clocking in at a lightning-speed-pace of seven minutes!, I sat at the computer waiting for each to complete (and monitoring so it didn't time or or sign me out for being inactive every five minutes!). Aside from my blog, ive never worked with an actual website. It took a lot of getting used to the ins and outs of how to navigate it all, but alas, this project is DONE!

You can find the photo directory of all these beautiful kiddos on the official CHCH website: http://caphaitienchildrenshome.org/Photo_Directory_BKUY.php

Please consider sponsoring a child, checking out the blog, helping to fund a need, or just even staying updated with all that is going on here at CHCH!

I love the variety in what I'm doing right now. I'm not locked in an office all day, but I am getting the chance to help complete needed administrative tasks. I'm also getting to spend as much time with the kiddos as I want, forming relationships, practicing my creole, laughing, playing, hugging and just loving on them. Plus, there is always the random trip into town, a sensory-overload trip through the market, quiet times at sunset ontop of the roof of the kitchen and dining hall, and off-site adventures like hiking to the cross or spending Sunday mornings at church or with the weekly bible study group.

I'm so blessed that God has given me an opportunity to learn from these kiddos and from the wonderful team of full-timer's here at CHCH. He has seriously been so so good to me, and I hate that my time in cap is half over already!

No comments: