Friday, July 8, 2011

oh how he loves us

one evening last week (okay, it was thursday, and yes i spent 5 minutes trying to figure out exactly when), i was driving on the interstate to make a quick trip to michael's.  i have sort of been in a crafting craze as of late (my roommate has started to call me "martha," and i'm not totally put off by the comparison!) and my latest obsession with pintrest was driving me to create a book wreath (neither here nor there, really).

all of that to say, driving down the interstate, just before rush hour really got too thick, i found myself in {joyful} tears.  leaving my house, i really wanted to hear the song "how he loves," and managed to find it on pandora.  as i listened through a crackly reception, i let the words permeate my heart.
He is jealous for me.  His love's like a hurricane; i am a tree, bending beneath the weight of His wind and mercy.  when all of the sudden, i am unaware of these afflictions eclipsed by glory, and i realize just how beautiful you are and how great your affections are for me.
oh, how He loves us so.  oh, how He loves us; how He loves us, oh. 
we are His portion, and He is our prize; drawn to redemption by the grace in His eyes. if grace is an ocean, we're all sinking.  Heaven meets earth like a sloppy wet kiss, and my heart turns violently inside of my chest.  i don't have time to maintain these regrets when i think about, the way ...
 He loves us. oh, how He loves us.  Oh, how He loves us.  how He loves us so. 
i found my eyes filling with tears, and my heart overwhelmed with the abundance of His love and mercy.  as i drove down 440, i felt as if i could feel God's love for each person in each car that i passed; and i wanted nothing more than to roll down my window and just shout at them just how very deeply the Lord loves them and values them and wants to have an intimate relationship with them!  i was overwhelmed with His love for His people, and His love for me.  what a joyful, comforting feeling that we serve a God that loves us SO deeply and cherishes the time we spend with Him! mmmhmm.

i was reminded of one night i spent in Haiti.  i had just left the prayer room, and was walking back to my apartment under the clear, caribbean sky.  i paused for a moment at the end of the sidewalk, before crossing into the dirt path to our quad.  looking up, a shooting star streaked across the night sky, and my heart melted.  melted! for Jesus.  i had always loved Him; but that was the first time i remember feeling that same "in love" feeling for Him! i felt as if He had created this entire world, and all its beauty, just to show me and share with me and give to me!  that night, i sat in the coolness of the sea-bound breeze underneath the mango tree and blogged.  i felt like i was journaling about a first love that had just captured my heart.

the feeling i felt that evening driving to the art supply shop was the same feeling i felt that night in haiti.  i am absolutely in love with jesus and am so grateful to serve such a loving, thoughtful, provisional Father.

No comments: