Monday, November 28, 2011

30 Days of Thankfulness - Day 28 - Ministry

it wasn't until recently (read: last week sometime) that i realized ministry didn't necessarily only happen in a church or on a missions base.  it didn't require a degree in theology, nor a fancy title.  ministry is simply what happens when your talents/passions are driven by jesus and meet a need of a person/group/community. 

last sunday at church, i learned about Hope Clinic for Women here in Nashville.  beginning 25 years ago as a crisis pregnancy center, Hope Clinic has evolved to include professional counseling and medical care, in addition to prevention education and offering pregnancy mentorship and education.  meeting with Beverly and Katie tonight, i saw their passion for the women, community and cause that they serve.  they truly are ministers of jesus to each lovely soul that walks into that building. 

tonight was a volunteer orientation at Hope Clinic, a ministry i didn't even know existed, nor did i really have a heart for the cause, just a week ago.  but sitting in that room, things seemed to click (quite reminiscent of sitting in the volunteer orientation for Ellie's Run for Africa in which God removed the blinders, opened my eyes, and literally breathed international education into my heart).  i sat there, and realized this was their ministry.  for some of the girls they see, this is the only ministry they may encounter, or at least, the first of such.  this is a place of mercy and grace.  this is a place with great need.  God was stirring my heart, igniting care for the cause and these women and what they are going through. wow; He certainly works ALL things together for the good of those that love Him.  

at church, i was praying for an opportunity to serve somewhere using my photography.  literally, at the end of that prayer, on the HC video showing at TVC, she literally said: "photographers! we need you, too, to photograph the moms and their new babies."  

the day before, AND a week before that, two separate people prophesied over me that they saw me getting involved in women's ministry.  i hesitated at the first, say what?!  working at a church?  sorry bout it, not happening.  then the second one, i thought, wow, God really is trying to get my attention about something. it didn't even click until AFTER i got word back about the orientation that THIS IS women's ministry!  this is using my passion and talent as a platform to serve others and do it because of what Christ has done for me and because He has equipped me with these gifts so that I can use them to minister to the needs of others!  and the opportunity to practice my craft? seriously, He blows me away at His goodness. 

ministry is all around us.  be thankful for the ministries in your community, being the love of Christ.  and tune in on your own ministry; what does it look like? how can you develop it?  what sort of legacy will it leave?  

i am so excited for this season of new things that God is going to walk me through as I partner with Hope Clinic.  I challenge you to do the same in your sphere of influence!  God can use you AND your ministry! :)

No comments: