Thursday, October 13, 2011

bullets of blessing

tonight, as i head to bed much later than usual or preferred, i reflect on blessings from this week; namely the ones that have helped me to maintain a level of sanity that isn't considered clinically insane:

  • vibrant, thriving, adult (praise-jesus, i-only-socialize-with-5-year-olds-all-day-and-needed-this-desperately) conversations.  literally, hours worth for each of the past three nights. 
  • catching up with friends from haiti.  we haven't spoken a ton since then, but when we do, it is as if we were still sharing hot dogs and tropical diseases in 100 degree heat.
  • 4 words: pumpkin chocolate chip muffins. nearly an entire batch. don't judge.
  • seeing snip-its of the Lord moving boulders in hearts that are seeking redemption.
  • the ability to revamp lessons on-the-fly.  pumpkin sink-or-float was a HUGE hit, thank-you-cafeteria-staff!  and making 3-d pumpkins with sight words on them? literally happened in a moment! that book on pumpkin parts today... hmm, maybe not doing much for my sanity there.
  • my kinders and the little-tiny ways they remind me that i *love* what i do (sometimes), (if we're being honest here). For example:
    • trying to explain what "genetic makeup" means to A. who asked me to explain DNA.
    • my sweet B. who is always so eager to do her work, clean her table, do "read-to-self" or "work on writing."  today she said, "what are we doing next? please don't say recess."  a 5 year old that would rather be in my class working than on the playground? thank you jesus. 
    • B. also gave up her rest time to clean everyone's desk, so "everyone can get a skittle for having a clean table."  servant.  i love her more and more every day.
    • C.'s hugs. like, 45 a day.  
    • my sweet, sweet, cate from last year that makes me feel like a beautiful, wonderful queen of the world, and lit-ter-al-ly runs me down and tackles me every morning, and most afternoons.  Such a reminder that my impact goes beyond the 176 they are in the class. thank you jesus.
    • K. and his humor. "this doesn't even make any sense!" he says emphatically, when we sit on a different bleacher for the first time all year in gym this week.
    • my sweet little A., whom after a friend fell over a chair and got upset said, "it's okay. we just need to pray for him." i die. 
    • sweet C. choosing to give up her super-sleeper rainbow-reader sleep spot to another super sleeper today. y'all that is coveted, and she chose to give it up! selfless!
    • my A., who came in pretty low as far as comprehension, academics, and processing-- watching him make connections like crazy lately! -- johnny can spell (phonics), and left and right, i'm astounded at each discovery!
    • watching my kinders FREAK OUT about pumpkin-goo (pulp) today! they LOVED putting their hand inside the pumpkin!!!
    • even making this list is reminding me that i have an amazing group of kids, and i need to see them as such.  they are learning to love and serve each other, and that is more priceless than learning the life cycle of a pumpkin.  good thing; we didn't quite make it to that this week. #hopetheygetcaughtuponthefieldtriptomorrow!
    • a clean desk 3 out of 4 days this week! (well, mostly clean. totally clean would be batting 1000, and let's be realistic here.)
  • God-ravaging my heart through morning prayer, and encouraging me and giving me peace through wonderful, life-breathing conversations with christina, bryan, leah, colt & kevin. and i don't name drop in blogs, so y'all need to know how much you've each blessed me this week!! and thank you jesus that you've created and connected leah and i, because she really got me and understood (and encouraged!) the post-haiti, identity crisis i'm experiencing!
  • my lovely haitian custodian. and our talks in french. and that, without even thinking about it, she asked me what the name of my favorite food i ate in haiti was, and i answered crepe sale. sah-lay.  it's coming more second nature, less meditation on the words! she's bring me rice and bean sauce on monday *if God wills*.  i love her. she is a sweet heart. I'm bringing her pumpkin muffins tomorrow. i hope she likes jumoo. or however it is spelled. 
  • the half-a-loaf of bread i've eaten with nutella for breakfast this week.  it has made waking up early *almost* a little more bearable. and diet coke. don't judge. we all have our vices.

No comments: