Sunday, January 23, 2011

newsflash for my ego

it is not about me.

sitting on the cold, porcelain tub with the water running all around me, i realized that the pain and suffering we endure, quite often (if not always), is not about us.

it's about bringing God the glory. it's about how we live in times when our circumstances may seem less than ideal, when our hearts may seem far from intact. it's about accepting grace and comfort from the Father, not about the pain we feel. and sometimes, it might not even be about us growing. because, quite frankly, it isn't about us.

i'm struggling to remind myself that this is not about me, in so many ways. i know it's not about what i did or didn't do; how i could change myself or another. it's not about me experiencing comfort and love; and to be quite honest, it's not even about God choosing to release his peace and comfort to me.

i was reminded again last night of Romans 11 -- all things are from Him, to Him, and through Him, for His glory. i needed that. a fresh reminder that this, that all of this, is for His glory. even the pain. even the heartache. even the moments of distrust, doubt, and faithlessness that our sinful flesh won't cease to lay hold of. all of it--for Him.

No comments: