Wednesday, March 14, 2012

learning to sit.

i'm not sure how i did it in college.  21 hours and the immense workload that came with that, 25-page papers, editor of the weekly newspaper, honorary pirates-fan spending over half my week in greenville.  because now, when busy-season hits me for more than a moment, these old bones buckle a heck of a lot more than they did at 22.

i consider myself a moderately busy person. i balance career with friends, my social life with my spiritual life, and much of my life looks like a giant venn-diagram of more overlaps than exceptions.  i prize me weekend time, as i really get a good chance to spend some time alone and with the Lord at length.  but i value my time throughout the week in fellowship, too.  i'm anxiously awaiting the start of DMS 2 here in Nashville this week, but it just looked like it was going to be another large priority that was going to push out the others, and rightfully so.  but i would be lying if i said getting the "other, lesser" things taken care of was a welcomed or easy feat.

it was my week to turn in lesson plans for our team.  i am not complaining.  i've only had to do them twice this year.  and although i usually write my own plans and have copies to make, knowing that others would be using my material, i wanted to make sure it shined!  and, its on pirates, a new theme none of us have any files to draw from for!  i am thankful for TPT and the creativity behind these lovely sellers sites! at 7 p.m. yesterday, i finished my plans by the grace of God and left school, headed straight for our Tuesday night fellowship. (sorry Sabby, but thanks for holding it til I got home at 11:45!)

headed in, i felt the weight of everything due.  in addition to plans, i've also taken on the role of yearbook this year with another K teacher.  with spring break coming up, it is due on Friday, but with DMS every evening, i knew i wouldn't be able to work on it after Tuesday night, and even then, i had group so really, tuesday afternoon!  because of that, i had a lovely sub come in for me today, and i could not be more thankful for substitute teachers!  i seriously spent time praying for her this morning because i am just that thankful!

still, the thought of everything that "still needed to be done," seemed burdensome, and i couldn't loosen it quick enough.  as worship began, and rose quickly with passion and abandon, i could barely speak praise, or even stand on my own feet.

i felt the Lord tell me to sit.  on the floor.  and then He began speaking to me.  i riffled through my bag in search for scrap paper or a pen.  neither.  i hadn't made it home from school yet, so i didn't have my bible or my journal, and my phone only had 15% of battery life left.  he told me again to just sit, but i knew i had to record, so i opened up the notes on my phone.

You've been running and doing and performing. Just be. Just come to Me and be. Sit in My presence and enjoy it. Enjoy Me. Breathe Me in. Allow Me to be everything you need. You don't need to "do". Your submission to Me is honor and obedience enough. You enjoying my presence delights my heart as much as pouring out your words or songs. You've done that. And become empty of Me. Sit and be filled. Sit and let Me lavish you with love. You'll get there, to the place where your praise flows without try. Right now, come. And breathe Me in. Sitting here, you surrender all you have. You surrender the fight to "do more", to "be more"; you surrender to me the things preoccupying your thoughts. You surrender the other things that "need" to get done. You choose the better thing as you sit in worship of My Pesence. Sometimes, you'll stand. Others, you'll bow. Learn to sit. When you sit, you are prepared to learn. Speak words of gratefulness. They don't need to be grander or glittery. Just pure and honest and true. Simple.  'I love You, Lord.' 
You are worthy lord. You alone are worthy. Of every thought. Every moment. Every breath. Every action. Every ounce of love in our hearts. You are worthy, I wrote to Him. then I sat some more, reflecting on all the things, yet again, that were shortening my stride and making my feet drag to the throne.
Are you really not going to trade your sorrows for joy? Do you want to hold on to them, the things that have worn you down and made you weary today? Or do you want to release them to my control, and receive my peace? My burden is light. Feel My Peace. Be filled with My Peace.

Lauren came and prayed with me, and I got to pray for her and this week as well.  at the end of worship, we got together with Ashley, and every group prayed for this week and for all of those (85 newcomers, plus 30ish DMS 2 students!) that are going to be here.  praying and waring in the spirit does something amazing for your energy levels.  it is exhausting and exciting all at the same time.  i'm so reminded of the physical battle that is taking place in the spiritual realm.  it is real.  the devil is as real as the blood that flowed on the cross.  fortunately powerless to that same blood. amen and amen!

i am so exited for what God is going to do this week.  i know He is not done with us yet!  there is so much room for an expansion of our knowledge of Him, our intimacy with Him, our sensitivity to the Spirit, transformation of our heart-- i can keep going!  fortunately, He is always working, and He has promised to be faithful to complete the work that He has begun in us!

so, Fire from Heaven, fall upon us this week! Be praying with us, contending for fullness of freedom in Christ, of redemption of past, for physical and emotional healing, for the bondage and strongholds that have decayed parts of our hearts and spirits would be broken in the name and blood of Jesus!

No comments: