Wednesday, January 11, 2012

simple living.

when praying over the near year, and reflecting over the old, i'm fairly certain i heard the Lord speak that 2012 would be an adventure, in every sense of the word, but first and foremost, an adventure with Him.

i also heard the words simplify, healthy, and finish (more on that here).  i had a general idea as to how those would each flesh out in my day-to-day routine of work, spiritual journey and relationships.  but when i got the email from one of our fellowship facilitators that suggested we all join together and do a 21-day fast, i both a) didn't see that as a part of 2012, and b) felt conviction as all four words seemed to be emblazoned literally and figuratively within that email.

the reading i've done to familiarize myself with fasting, both scriptural and informational, combined with seeking God's desire and my own sacrifice, I think I've managed to whittle down the bones of this commitment.  i'm also familiar enough with the scripture to know that we are neither to boast of our fasting, nor throw ourselves a pity-party for publicity sake.  because of that, i feel strongly convicted to not post about it on Facebook or twitter, but the intimacy and honesty i've invested into this blog, i think it would be limiting to not include it or feel the vulnerability to share in this one place i storehouse my thoughts.

when i read the email, i paid careful attention to the wording.  simplify.  healthy.  no choice foods.  i knew immediately that i should give up eating out and grabbing fast-food (even the healthy stuff) to-go.  it fully aligned with what God had spoken over this year for me, and to not concede with that, I knew, would be walking in disobedience.

initially, i debated even doing a food-based fast.  in the past, i have struggled privately with food issues, and i know that the thought of a fast for spiritual purposes can easily be manipulated into an ulterior motive of losing weight or beginning to focus and obsess on the outward appearance.  but praise Him; for i truly feel he has walked me safely and victoriously out of that struggle and walking firm with a healthy self-image and image about food and fitness!  because of that, i feel the freedom and boldness to walk through this adventure of health and simplifying!

since reviewing the suggestions of the 21-day fast, and reading scripture referencing fasting, i've decided to do sort of a hybrid fast (is that even allowed?).  In Daniel 1, Daniel requests to abstain from the King's choice foods and wine, requesting water and vegetables in their stead. He asks to be tested for 10 days with this dietary choice, and then be observed.  He looked far better in appearance and nourishment than those eating the King's choice foods.  i know elsewhere in Daniel 9, it talks about his fast of mourning for 3 weeks, but after seeking the Lord on it, I feel like the Daniel fast should be a 10-day dietary fast for me, but that He is still seeking a 3-week period of sacrifice.  so for the duration of the 3 weeks, I will be abstaining from going to restaurants or take-out places, and also from making any purchases.  i believe both of these to be aligned with simplify as God spoke that over this year for me, as well as the vision for this corporate fast.

of course, i will still have bills to pay, and gas and groceries to buy, and I think that the Lord honors those things; but those new tennis shoes or that book i've been wanting to read will have to wait.  i even felt as if i wasn't supposed to purchase items for my classroom or lesson plans that weren't of absolute need or necessity (probably a good thing in the long run!).

i delineate all of this for a couple of reasons: first, so i have a clear idea of what i'm doing.  it's easy to finagle your way out of something you never vocally committed to. secondly, to seek accountability, even if it is only perceived by me putting it out there.  thirdly, to encourage you to walk in some sort of consecration for the remainder of january as well!  lastly, i think that the enemy loves when he is able to get us to pervert something the Lord intended as good and as a way to glorify Him, into removing the focus from Him and giving us an object of obsession.  for that reason, i seek your prayers as i declare God's strength and sovereignty as more than enough to get me through this fast without losing sight of the purpose or becoming unhealthily obsessed with food, either the presence or absence of it in my daily routine.

God, you called me on an adventure this year, and I love that this is how we are going to begin.  I pray I hear your voice clearly, that your strength is made righteous in my weakness, and that my sacrifice is pleasing to you.  I am so excited for this adventure, and I couldn't be more thankful that you have called my name.  Amen.

***

also, i am planning a partial fast (liquids only) from 6-3 tomorrow in remembrance of the earthquake that devastated haiti 2 years ago tomorrow.  i know what a tremendous impact this event had on my life, heart, and spiritual journey, and although i am thankful for the doors it opened, i grieve the loss of life and the mass devastation that has yet to be rectified.  in lieu of eating throughout the day, i want to spend that time praying for the nation of haiti.  even if you don't decide to fast, please take a moment to intercede on this nation.  they have suffered so much, but their joy is resilient.  God's word is clear: He is near to the brokenhearted, and saves those crushed in spirit.  I pray, Father, that you would comfort your people and hear their cries. Even in the shadow of destruction, we declare your goodness and mercy Lord.

No comments: