Saturday, October 6, 2012

He hasn't focaccia.

I can hear them now, whispering.  Trying to pass the blame. Peter! You forgot the sourdough, again! What do you mean, there's no challah?!  Didn't anyone grab those seven baskets worth of focaccia back at the shore before we hopped in the boat? You know, Jeezy's not gunna be too pleasey with this one again.

"Watch and beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and the Sadduces."

Umm. Earth to Jesus, come in Jesus. We brought NO BREAD.  Not sure you heard that.

"But Jesus, aware of this, said, "o you of little faith, why are you discussing among yourselves the fact that you have no bread? Do you not yet perceive? Do you not remember the loaves for the five thousand, and how many baskets you gathered?  Or the seven loaves for the four thousand, and how many baskets you gathered? How is it that you fail to understand that I did not speak of the bread?" 

We do it all the time.  Or, at least I do.  I petition Him with a silly request.  I don't have patience, or peace, or resources.  He responds with a metaphor, and I say, ummm, Jesus, did you just hear what I said?

Of course he did. He's God.  "But Jesus, aware of this..." the text says. Of course he is aware.

But how aware are we of the abundance He's provided in our lack before?  When He's overflowed baskets with bread when the multitudes had nothing to eat.  When he's taken the small amount we've had, and multiplied it for His glory and our benefit.

I'm reading story after story of Jesus' radical teaching and love, and although He lived it out right before the disciples, miracle after miracle, each one as astounding as the one before it, they were so quick to forget.

He had just probided bread for thousands. And yet, they still remind him they have no bread.

"Do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or drink, nor about your body, what you will put on.  Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air; they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your Heavenly Father feeds them.  Are you not of more value than they?" (MAtthew 6:25-26)

Whatever it is you're anxious about-- about not having enough, about not being enough, about not seeing your basic necessities or the resources to even conjur them up-- do not worry.  He knows your need before even you do.  He will meet it if you look to him instead of your worry.

As I left the coffeehouse when I wrote this out, I felt the Lord smile on me as he melted my heart.  I saw three sparrows in the parking lot.  Tearing a part a piece of toasted bread on the asphalt.  In the most unlikely of places, God provides just what we need.

Aren't we even more valuable than the sparrow of the field?

No comments: