Monday, October 22, 2012

give it well.

It was late as I drove.  Even if it wasn't, I would've been just as exhausted, as life these days in adulthood has seemed awfully fatiguing, fighting for joy and worth (that's another post).

I've been day dreaming about my passions and this invisible life that my heart feels like it should be leading, a lot.  I've picked up peace corps literature, googled every NGO under the sun, and even started charting out a silent but huge dream on my heart.

I was thinking about my super-ecclectic group of extremely brilliant and talented friends.  Musicians, artists, designers.  I feel like everyone has a talent to offer.  Something that can sustain them financially,  allow them to pursue their work with passion, and afford them the opportunity to use their gift to give back.

My heart wrenched, if it can actually do such a thing. "I have nothing to give," I thought remorsefully.  I'm good at several things, but I don't really excel at ONE main thing.  I have no staple.  There's nothing I can be known for.

Immediately, the Holy Spirit refuted my statement if self-pity.  "Oh, yes you do, daughter.  You have the most important thing to give.  You have Love.  It's far more important you give that, give it well, and give it in My name."

I'm not claiming I'm good at it, that I excel at it, or that it even comes naturally.  But through Him, in Him, I can do all things as He is the one that allows me strength.

We all have something to give.  You were not designed to give the same, generic gift someone else has been designed to give.  You are unique, and intimately known by our Creator.  Use whatever gifts you possess to bring glory to His name; but do not neglect your capacity to give and show love.  It is the most important, unrefined treasure of your heart to be able to produce

"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8
"If I give away all I have, and I deliver my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing." 1 Corinthians 13:3

1 comment:

Joshua Miller Photography said...

Rhi, there has always been that ONE thing that has always drawn me to you. One thing that has trumped all the other magnificent things about you. Your ability to LOVE excellently. If a man can "second" what God has spoken I "second" this. You not only love people excellently, but life as well. Something that many of us, even in the faith struggle to do. Yet you do it so naturally, so easily.

Because you have LOVE, you have everything.