Monday, September 3, 2012

little nuggets of wisdom

sharing my struggles as of lately, i have received tiny little nuggets of wisdom that have really given perspective and shed much light on this journey.

i hope to catalogue some of them here, for reminders sake.

my sweet friend Leah, whom i met while in Haiti in 2010, is a wealth of wisdom.  without hesitation, i shared my difficulties and she offered word after wise word.  as i sorted out my thoughts before her, she said a few things that really stuck out (of course, now that I actually get to blogging them, I can only remember one...!):  "you're really good at transitioning into; you just can't quite seem to transition back."

she's so right.  i've mastered the book-a-ticket-and-go in three weeks time.  i can pack and get outta here faster than you can say, m'ap veni!  but returning is a different story.  it's not that i don't love nashville, or my friends here, or whats going on within the church here.  its not that at all.  its just that usually when you travel to a new place, your eyes ignite with excitement as they take in the previously unforeseen sights.  more than that, i seem little phased by them.  they seem, familiar.  like home.  more like home than coming home felt.  and that leaves me feeling, well, homeless.

I've also gotten really accustomed to living out of a suitcase.  there's no sense of permanence.  this drives most people mad.  and admittedly, i felt the same while i was in Haiti.  i longed for a closet.  for the rest of my wardrobe.  but relinquishing my limited supply to choose from for an unending amount of clothes is a difficult transition, when all you want to do is burn everything you own, or give it away; but then you think of how much you really do like those white linen pants and how you forgot about that precious dress from H&M.

this post is not shaping up the way it did 2 weeks ago when i pre-drafted it in my head.

after sharing with a friend of mine that called the other day, he said something that i think my heart has caught onto quicker than my head.  "just keep doing what you're doing.  go with what you know, and God will make it clear if there's a path you're supposed to take."  

so i'm doing that.  in so many areas of my life, i'm doing that.  i'm barely holding on in some places, but I just keep going, until God says otherwise.

serving in the church nursery yesterday, Philipians 4:6 was in no less than 19 places in the room.  i don't think it was a coincidence, considering i started with the babies, was moved to the toddlers, and wound up in this room of 2's and 3's and do-not-be-anxious-in-anything's.

"God says three things: yes. no. and wait," Ms. Candy repeated over and over and over to these little ones, as the Holy Spirit repeated it over and over and over to my little heart.

so, if He's not saying yes ... and he's not saying no ... i guess i know what He's telling me to do.  but wait does not mean sit on your hands and do nothing until you hear.  it means keep moving.  I'll tell you when to switch paths.  

small nuggets accounted for today.  many more to come.

No comments: