Tuesday, November 2, 2010

blanc

reading my bible tonight was like looking back on a dated photograph, closing my eyes, and being ever present in the snapshot as it was unfolding.

1 peter 1:2 tells us that the epistle was written to foreigners dispersed in these western asian lands, missionaries. it was affirming them that they were placed in these spots, that God knows them and chose them. that they are made holy through the Spirit, and as a result, have obeyed the Lord.

softly closing my eyes, i'm laying on that foam-core mattress, surrounded by mosquito nets and 20 eager mosquitos hoping my elbow touches the net. i'm sweating, i'm frustrated, and i'm likely doubting. depending on the day, its highly possible i was crying; if not from exhaustion, from the sweet grace and mercy of the Lord.

and then i'm reading 1 Peter, and realizing how true this verse was for me. there I was; a foreigner. in this land that I was placed in. and because of my obedience, the Lord was cleansing me and making me holy. wow. revelation. such a sweet moment of affirmation that i was smack dab in the middle of God's plan for my life.

opening my eyes, smiling, and fighting back a joyful tear, i return to the Family Room, surrounded by 50 or so church members in our 5-week study on 1 Peter, here in Nashville. the room was warm, from the heater combatting the pre-winter temperatures. i smile, reminiscently on the scripture that once reminded me that I, a foreigner, was exactly where God intended; only this time, regretfully realizing it did not currently apply.

No comments: